Our principle behind our animation is emotion, we want to create an ambiguous sense to the entire narrative because it is to do with death (something we all know very little about as a first person experience). From this we want the audience left kind of confused with the whole animation, to get a slight grasp of what the character wants, but in turn as the audience we don’t really know who the character is and what his past life has led. All we know is that he and the narrative, is coming to an end, and we as the creators showing that, want it to be a beautiful end.
The animation isn’t meant to feed you answers or emotion, you’re meant to look for it. We as a team didn’t want to create an easy feeding narrative as we know through beauty, through in depth research and planning out the set design, we could achieve a sense of emotion. We want the audience to know an emotion is meant to be felt, but that emotion isn’t predetermined, it is up to them to chose. We don’t want to force it.We just want them to feel something.
The aim we hope to achieve is that the audience is left uncertain of what has actually happened, and we hope that they would want to watch it again to try and figure it out. We haven’t quite polished off this idea yet. But after this we hope to work over summer to try and achieve something that is visually stunning, that is emotionally stirring, that is nostalgic in some sense, that shows there is comfort in endings and an atmosphere of loneliness. But for now, this is what we have created.
We got a lot of feedback from this animation. This one we were not really happy with at all. The tutors let us know that the narrative still seemed a bit loose, which we also thought. Alot of the feedback they said we completely agreed with, but we found it hard to take loads of feedback and still create a piece that was original to us.
We had to include more shots of the growth
Reduce the number of shots
Change the camera at the end to have the movement of the camera to effect the shot prior to the one it is on already
To give more of a peaceful feel to it
To take out the stills
To match up the mountain shots so the flowed better together
We had a few things on top of this that we wanted to do as a team, so it was a busy time on the couple weeks between this and out most recent piece.
My first tests were just for fun, and were in really simple formats! They turned out quite nice, but nothing what I wanted. I was kind of in a rough spot at this point, so everything I was doing wasn’t all that great. So I was happy that something was at least being made even if it wasn’t that helpful.