I tested out editing certain textures I had already made and mixed with patterns adapted from Ryans designs that I drew. After that I then put them together and layered them onto simple rock shapes, I thought it gave an interesting look. These textures gave a more artsy feel to the simple things in the set, which is something we wanted to hold in the set.
After this I tested different textures out on other rocks! I thought these textures gave a simple design and composition a little something extra. They don’t particularly look like real rocks, but it’s subtly letting in the surreal to the real like theme we seem to be going with.
I also tried giving a simple set a few textures, but I did a very quick test with awful lighting and I didn’t apply the textures the best way I could have. But I thought the grassy look of the texture on the ground was kind of successful!
But overall this was not the visual look I imagined for our animation. So I wasn’t feeling extremely passionate while I created these pieces, my team seemed to like the rockas alot though.
Gianni and I then sat together and quickly tested out what a transparent layer on top of a solid object might look like. This was something that I wanted to try out from early concepts time. This too was also a really quick test, so I don’t have the best image that I could have but here’s the test.
This idea came from my early concept of ghost rocks from this bad drawing I did! But it was fun to do and I think this is something we would like to try out more!